How to Get Started
THE COMMITMENT: One year of making a meaningful, life-long difference in the lives of girls by serving as a leader on the Troop Leadership Team.
Step 1: Get Signed Up
- Complete your membership form.
- Complete your background check online using the link provided in a separate email after you register. (Background Checks are required for all positions, except Troop Family and Friends.)
- You will receive a welcome email when your background check is approved (could take a few days).
Step 2: Start Your Troop Leader Training
- You'll receive a welcome email with a link to view the Welcome to Girl Scouts video. After viewing the Welcome to Girl Scouts video, you will receive a separate email with log in information and link to our on-line training system to take New Member Orientation (required) and Leadership Essentials (optional, strongly encouraged) trainings. If you do not receive the email with the link for the two trainings, contact us at 800-582-7272 or email@example.com.
Visit gsLearn to complete the Successful Leader
Learning Series online:
- Click on MYGS
- Choose Volunteer Tool Kit from drop down menu
- Put in your login information
- Click on GS Learn link
- Check our Event and Adult Learning Calendar for Journey courses offered for your grade level.
Step 3: Review Volunteer Toolkit and Other Resources
Go to www.gs-top.org and choose “My GS”. From the dropdown menu, select the Volunteer Toolkit. Your username and password is the same as the Member Community.
Step 5: Prepare for and Schedule Your First Troop Meeting
- Review the Meeting Plans in your Volunteer Toolkit and Safety in Girl Scouting.
- Review Managing
- NOTE: All troop funds must be placed in a troop bank account. Request a troop bank letter.
- Set your meeting place and time, and communicate this information to parents. Learn more in: Planning Your First Troop Meeting and Creating a Safe Space for Girls.
- Let Council know your meeting time and location.
Step 6: Attend Service Unit Meetings and Connect with Other Volunteers
Service Unit information was provided in the Your Troop is Ready to Meet email. You can also receive SU information by contacting Customer Care: 800-582-7272 or firstname.lastname@example.org