Camp isn’t just a place… it’s a feeling, it’s an attitude and in Girl Scouts we all live it and love it. We’re making some changes to update our camps. Throughout this process, we have kept our work centered on how to best serve girls of today and tomorrow while making our Council stronger and financially viable long into the future. Compassion for those who are impacted by these decisions.A thoughtful process for making the decision and a plan for moving forward.
We understand the emotional connection of the camping experience. At the heart of these decisions is the desire to do what’s best for meeting the needs of today’s and tomorrow’s girls.
The Board of Directors, which is made up of volunteer representatives from across the council, passed the following recommendations:
- A change in strategic direction for outdoor properties. Resources should be focused to develop two premier properties: Stevens Ranch and Camp Rio Blanco creating “high quality outdoor programs and facilities for girls”Though specific program plans are still in development, Camp Rio Blanco will have a STEM focus to maximize the capital investment already in place from the building of Lorax Lodge.
- Increase capacity for Stevens Ranch with modern facilities and to modernize current facilities and using green building alternatives as much as possible and economically reasonable.
- Gain insights and input for site, program and fund planning from members along the way.
On February 22, 2014, the Board of Directors approved the master plan. This long-term plan will guide us in transforming Camp Rio Blanco and Stevens Ranch into premier camp facilities, while maintaining the excellence at all of our camp locations.
- In order to maintain successful camping programs, the decision was made to keep Camp Kiwanis open for residential summer camp until Camp Rio Blanco is ready.
- In order for excellence to occur, Camp Rio Blanco will remain a non-residential camp until appropriate updates to the camp are made.
We are striving to ensure that every girl in our council have access and opportunity to build friendships and learn leadership skills in the great outdoors. Girl Scouting has historically provided unmatched camping experiences and, with this plan, our council will continue to do so.
Can't find what you're looking for? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org