Welcome to the great adventure of Girl Scouting! Thanks to volunteers like you, generations of girls have learned to be leaders in their lives and in the world. Little can compare to the satisfaction you’ll feel as you help girls grow in self-confidence, discover their genuine selves, connect with the people and community around them, and take action to make a difference in the world.
We are embracing the Juliette Gordon Low legacy, of improving our environment and protecting our natural resources, by offering some of the adult volunteer learning opportunities online. If you have any questions concerning the content of these courses, please contact your local Volunteer Services Staff.
Council New Member Orientation or NMO
(required for all new leaders in GS-TOP)
This learning opportunity session is to be completed prior to meeting with troop or parents for the first time. Completing a New Member Orientation (NMO) course is a requirement for leadership of a Girl Scout Troop. The NMO course can be completed by Home Study, Online Learning or Face to Face.
Download NMO Guide for Home Study
If the Guide isn't displaying properly, right-click the link and choose "Save Link As..." or "Save Target As..."
After reviewing the NMO Guide THEN
- Explore Volunteer Essentials Online
- Activity Essentials: Now found in Event Calendar & Take Action Resources
- Safety Activity Checkpoints
- Monthly SUI: Service Unit Information News - Found under Communications section on the right side of our website or in Publications on the Forms and Publications page.
- "The Spirit" is a monthly regionalized e-newsletter for leaders, volunteers, parents, and girls. Located under the Communications section on the right side of our website. * If you would like to be added to the mailing list for "The Spirit" visit our sign-up page.
- It is recommended that you take "Leadership Essentials" course after completing your NMO. Contact your area Volunteer Services staff or register for the class online.
- Want more training courses? Check out more Adult Learning Opportunities and Courses.
Not into online testing? Click here for the schedule to Attend a NMO Training Class (Face to Face)
New Member Orientation Additional Resources:
Forms and Publications in the New Member Orientation Guide
This list contains only those forms referenced in the New Member Orientation Guide.
For other forms, please visit the Forms and Publications page.
Found in Registration Forms
Found in Troop/Group Management Forms
Found in Volunteer Development Forms
GSUSA has three awesome, online adult learning opportunities ready and waiting – all you have to do is go to the link, log in and roll up your sleeves!
Volunteering for Girl Scouts Series & Events Training Password: volunteer
Girl Scouting 101 Training Password: aboutGS101 (case sensitive)
Would you like to apply to become a volunteer today?
All Girl Scout volunteers undergo strict background checks, including a criminal background check.
Click the button to the right to get started.